Here are some of my recent and current research and teaching-related activities. Many of them took place in Bosnia-Herzegovina since I am from there and travel back frequently.
- I was selected to be a Fulbright Specialist for a period of three years starting in 2020.
- In 2019-20, I am supervising research projects on
- topological data analysis and Unicef MICS surveys,
- power index calculations in the Bosnian government,
- combinatorial topology in game theory, and
- the topology of r-configuration spaces.
- I was a recipient of the 2017-2018 Fulbright U.S. Research Scholar grant. I used it to visit University of Sarajevo while on sabbatical during the spring 2018 semester. Here is an interview (in Bosnian) about my visit and some of the activities I was engaged in.
- I have been advising a doctoral student, Franjo Šarčević, at University of Sarajevo since 2016. He is defending his thesis in March 2020.
- In recent years, I supervised independent research and honors theses on the partial configuration spaces and r-immersions, Tverberg Conjecture and functor calculus, topological data analysis, Frobenius algebras and TQFTs, Khovanov homology and functor calculus, algebraic topology, Hochschild homology, differential geometry, advanced ODEs, math behind Google, knot theory, and cryptography.
Math and democracy
Math and democracy
- In spring 2020, I am teaching a class on Mathematics and Politics in Wellesley’s First Year Seminar program. I also taught a short workshop version of this class in summer 2019 and will be doing it again in summer 2020.
- I have been supervising independent studies on mathematics and politics, one focusing on new applications of some classical power indices and another on some combinatorial topology aspects of voting theory.
- Since 2019, I have been giving talks on mathematics and democracy, including at the Albright Institute for Global Affairs, Wellesley High School, etc. Some of the slides from the talks I gave on this topic can be found on the talks page.
- I taught a class on cryptography and privacy in Wellesley’s First Year Seminar program in spring 2015.
- For the last few years, I have been a member of and actively involved with the Bosnian-Herzegovinian American Academy of Arts and Sciences (BHAAAS). I joined the Board of Directors of this organization, served as its treasurer from 2015 to 2019, and will be its president in 2020-21. I organized the 10th Annual Meeting of BHAAAS in October 2016 at Wellesley College.
- I have been engaged in a number of STEM education initiatives in Bosnia-Herzegovina in recent years. Some of the talks I gave on this topic can be found on the talks page.
- I am coorganizing the 12th Days of BHAAAS in Bosnia-Herzegovina taking place in Mostar, June 25-28, 2020.
- I coorganized the 11th Days of BHAAAS in Bosnia-Herzegovina that took place in June 2019, in Sarajevo. I also organized a panel on STEM education in Bosnia-Herzegovina as part of the conference. Panelists included faculty from high schools and universities, parents, and representatives from NGOs and industry. Here is an article, and here and here are a couple of my appearances on Bosnian television (all in Bosnian), advertising the conference and the STEM panel, as well as discussing the education in Bosnia in general.
- I coorganized the 10th Days of BHAAAS in Bosnia that took place in June 2018. This was one of the largest scientific meeting in the Balkans consisting of 27 symposia in a variety of disciplines, with 375 speakers from 24 countries. I was the chair of the Symposium on Applied Mathematics and delivered several lectures at the conference (here is an article, in Bosnian, about some of the talks, including mine, and here and here are a couple of my appearances on Bosnian television advertising the conference).
- In March 2019, I participated in the Transfer of Knowledge program run by the Diaspora Sector of the Bosnian Ministry of Human Rights and Refugees. I gave a number of lectures and talked to students about mentorship and opportunities in mathematics. If you are a Bosnian professional looking to share your expertise with people in Bosnia, I encourage you to apply to this program.
- In 2015, I started helping BOSANA Foundation from Sarajevo, Bosnia, and served as a mentor for one of its scholarship recipients. I urge you to check out all their wonderful work and support them in any way you can.
- In spring 2018, I joined the Board of Directors of EDUS - Education For All. This wonderful organization provides assistance for education of children with developmental delays at preschool and elementary school level. Please consider supporting their important work.
- I have been a member of the American Mathematical Society’s Dolciani Prize Committee since 2020.
- I was the principal organizer for a conference in honor of Tom Goodwillie's 60th birthday that was held June 23-27, 2014 in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- The Missing Ingredient in Our Democracy: Math, published in Education Week in March 2020
- Immigrants Are Ambassadors For American Values — That Can Be Good For The World, published in Cognoscenti, the ideas and opinion page for WBUR, Boston’s NPR station, in October 2018.
- 'America Would Obviously Not Do This' — The Election, And An Immigrant's Disbelief, published in Cognoscenti, the ideas and opinion page for WBUR, Boston’s NPR station, in November 2016.